Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Review: The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1), by Rick Yancy

The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
By Rick Yancy
Publication Date: September 22nd, 2010 (Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers)
Genre: Horror; Historical Fiction; Paranormal; Supernatural; Fantasy; Mystery; Sci-Fi; Adventure; YA
Source: Library!

DESCRIPTION:

"These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for nearly ninety years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for who I kept these secrets. The one who saved me...and the one who cursed me."

So starts the diary of Will Henry, orphan and assistant to a doctor with a most unusual specialty: monster hunting. In the short time he has lived with the doctor, Will has grown accustomed to his late night callers and dangerous business. But when one visitor comes with the body of a young girl and the monster that was feeding on her, Will's world is about to change forever. The doctor has discovered a baby Anthropophagi—a headless monster that feeds through the mouthfuls of teeth in its chest—and it signals a growing number of Anthropophagi. Now, Will and the doctor must face the horror threatening to overtake and consume our world before it is too late.

The Monstrumologist is the first stunning Gothic adventure in a series that combines the spirit of HP Lovecraft with the storytelling ability of Rick Riordan.

—from goodreads.com

REVIEW:

The Monstrumologist was the first ever Gothic horror novel I have ever read, AND I'M DEFINITELY READING THE SEQUEL! I judged a book by it's cover while I was in the library and it paid off! This book was excellent!

The plot proved interesting and spaced itself away from the vampire/werewolves/supernatural power/sinister academy/fallen angel/fairy books with all those dark looking cover that I'm so very sick of seeing in libraries and bookstores and hearing people rave about (not that I don't like them, because I do like them, just the well-written ones because they're turning those supernatural books out so fast they seem like a generic cereal bran, all with the same character archetypes and plots).

Although the book does have a sinister antagonist in it that is indeed a monster, this monster is completely different from lipstick-wearing vampires that love the scent of strawberry shampoo. This monster is seldom heard of and isn't found in any human-creature romance. Instead, you'll find this monster ravaging human flesh with razor teeth. Wanna looksee?

Picture from the blog, Corner Ink Journal
I baby-barf just looking at it.

Worst part? They've infested New England and it's up to the monstrumologist, Dr. Pellinore Warthrop, and his indispensable twelve-year-old apprentice, Will Henry to exterminate the infestation.

On the negative side, the beginning of the book is very slow-paced, and did little to draw me in (with the first chapter as an exception). I always tried to get a chapter in before bed, but the chapters were so long that I would usually only get half in.

Don't get me wrong: there were phenomenal chapters, my favorite being the one with the old man in the insane asylum ("What of the Flies?" I believe it is called. You'll know what I'm talking about when you read it), and in those cases, I'd read more than a chapter and my eyes would swell because before I would know it, it would be one in the morning.

The writing style is formal and wordy since the book takes place in the 1888. I also suppose that's the reason why the chapters are so long.

The book started to pick up pace during the chapter called "The Help," because it introduced a fascinating character named Jack Kearns. I must admit that I liked him better than Will Henry.

The Monstrumologist is a perfect scare for people who like both historical fiction and fantasy.

RATING:









No comments:

Post a Comment